This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8337 / 51°50'1"N
Longitude: -4.691 / 4°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 214686
OS Northings: 218439
OS Grid: SN146184
Mapcode National: GBR CY.VP2N
Mapcode Global: VH2P0.M5XL
Entry Name: Offices & Outbuilding to W of Glanrhyd House (also known as The Court House)
Listing Date: 21 March 1980
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 9730
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the W side of Glanrhyd House.
Locality: Castell Dwyran
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Dated 1779 and built by Evan Griffiths of Glanrhyd. Griffiths (d 1796) was Sheriff of Carmarthenshire. The office is contemporary with the house, a barn of 1778, and cow house.
A 2-storey outbuilding of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and asbestos-slate roof with freestone stack to the NE end. Openings have freestone voussoirs and keystones. In the NW elevation the 'office' occupies the L side. It has 3 windows under flat brick arches, with wooden glazing bars but partly boarded up, and a doorway R of centre under an elliptical head and with double boarded doors. Above the doorway is a segmental-headed loft doorway with boarded doors, to the L of which is a stone tablet. It is inscribed 'These offices were built by Evan Griffiths Esq 1779'. Further R the elevation is brought forward, with coach house or cart shed in the lower storey. It has 3 elliptical arched doorways with impost band, of which 2 of the doorways have wide boarded doors, the other is open. A central loft doorway is similar to the doorway further L. In the SW gable end is a roofed external stone stairway under a lower roof line, stone in the gable end but brick above the wooden lintel on the NW side. The NE gable end has stone steps leading to a fielded-panel door under a flat arch offset to the L side. The gable has pigeon holes.
In the rear (SE) elevation, the 'office' on the R side has a 4-pane window lower centre, to the R of which is an upper storey window boarded up and a boarded-up window beneath the eaves. On the L side is a boarded loft doorway under a segmental head. A similar loft doorway is further L, above 3 ventilation strips in the lower storey.
The office retains the remains of a painted ceiling and, on the SW wall, of round arched panelling.
Listed as a well-preserved C18 outbuilding retaining original character and detail, and as part of a strong group of C18 house and outbuildings at Glanrhyd.
Other nearby listed buildings