This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8344 / 51°50'3"N
Longitude: -4.6914 / 4°41'28"W
OS Eastings: 214661
OS Northings: 218513
OS Grid: SN146185
Mapcode National: GBR CY.VP06
Mapcode Global: VH2P0.M5Q2
Entry Name: Barn at Glanrhyd
Listing Date: 21 March 1980
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 9731
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the W side of the farmyard, which is on the N side of Glanrhyd House.
Locality: Castell Dwyran
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Dated 1778 and built by Evan Griffiths of Glanrhyd. Griffiths (d 1796) was Sheriff of Carmarthenshire. The barn is contemporary with the house, an office dated 1779, and cow house.
A barn of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and asbestos-slate roof on a moulded stone cornice. A central bay is brought forward under a pediment and is of coursed freestone. It has 2 wide elliptical-headed doorways with impost band and keystones, the L-hand with replaced doors, the R-hand part infilled and shuttered. Above it is a freestone tablet inscribed 'These barns were built by Evan Griffith Esq 1778'. Above the simple moulded cornice the pediment has a blind oculus (formerly with clock). To the R and L the elevation has 2 ventilation strips. The L (downhill) gable end has an added range in blockwork, above which are stone ledges and pigeon holes.
In the rear is a wide outshut porch with 2 segmental arches, inside which are 2 elliptical keyed doorways with double boarded doors. A single ventilation strip is to the R, and added blockwork lean-to on the L side.
Eleven-bay collar-beam roof.
Listed as a well-preserved C18 barn of unusual architectural character, and as part of a strong group of C18 house and outbuildings at Glanrhyd.
Other nearby listed buildings