This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9925 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -4.498 / 4°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 228583
OS Northings: 235624
OS Grid: SN285356
Mapcode National: GBR D6.JNXT
Mapcode Global: VH2NB.Z5FV
Entry Name: Rehoboth Chapel
Listing Date: 19 March 1992
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 9744
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated about 1km S of Capel Iwan above Cych valley.
Locality: Capel Iwan
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1859 former Baptist Chapel, disused 1993. The Baptist congregation were originally at Pantteg Chapel, Capel Iwan, but Rehoboth was established in 1808 after a split, when the former congregation joined the Unitarians.
Rubble stone with slate-hung gable front, slate roof and bracketed eaves. Simple facade with thin stucco surrounds to recessed centre door, two narrow 18-pane windows, and fixed centre gallery light, of twelve panes with coloured glass margin-lights. Framed date plaque above. Boarded doors and traceried overlight. Some crown glass to window glazing. Roughcast two-storey, two-window sides with plinth, sill-band and cambered-headed windows, 12-pane below and 9-pane above. Rear has two tall arched 18-pane windows with traceried heads.
Rubble stone wall to front court with rough coping and double iron gates at side to road, single small gate at upper end. Slate capped piers. The Burial Ground is on the opposite side of the lane.
Painted grained woodwork. Inner vestibule with gallery steps each side, two 4-panel doors with overlights to chapel and centre window with coloured glass. Raked gallery on three sides with panelled front and four octagonal timber piers. Balustraded pulpit with side steps between end windows.
Included as an especially well-preserved mid-C19 rural chapel, picturesquely sited.
Other nearby listed buildings