This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8843 / 51°53'3"N
Longitude: -4.2073 / 4°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 248176
OS Northings: 222937
OS Grid: SN481229
Mapcode National: GBR DL.RH1K
Mapcode Global: VH3LC.1W3W
Entry Name: Barn to SE of Gilfach y Berthog
Listing Date: 12 June 1992
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 9746
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the SE side of the house.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Possibly contemporary with the 1692 remodelling of the house. However, it could be later as the tradition of using scarfed crucks in this part of Carmarthenshire continued throughout the C18. The roof was probably originally thatched. Some brick dressings indicate C19 alterations.
A 5-bay barn of rubble stone, although the N gable end is of different character to the side walls, suggesting that the side walls were originally timber-framed. The roof is corrugated iron, collapsing at the N end and completely fallen at the S end. The barn comprises a threshing bay at the N end and animal accommodation at the S end, entered through a doorway in the S gable end. The threshing bay retains opposing doors, with window to the L facing the yard, with brick dressings. To the R of the threshing bay is a former doorway converted to a window. The S gable end has a doorway.
Internally the barn has 3 pairs of roughly hewn, scarfed crucks with heavily pegged joints. The blades have collars and are crossed at the apex. Purlins are renewed. The S end was box-framed, not of cruck construction.
Listed, notwithstanding its poor condition, as a rare surviving cruck-framed barn and for group value with the house and stables.
Other nearby listed buildings