This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8566 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3105 / 4°18'37"W
OS Eastings: 240979
OS Northings: 220084
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7GC
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7LKK
Entry Name: Former Midland Bank,lammas Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 14 September 1992
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9749
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At the eastern corner with Water Street, midway along Lammas Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former Midland Bank remodelled in 1904 by George Morgan. The left part of the site was the Garden Hotel, acquired by the North & South Wales Bank in 1904, amalgamated with the Midland Bank in 1908. The present building is in 2 matching sections, the main part, the 3-bay left section with the 7 bays to Water Street being the original and the 2 right bays to Lammas Street apparently refronted to match, possibly in the 1930s. A photograph of c.1914 suggests that even by then the bank occupied both parts, and a photograph of c.1923 shows the right hand part with a shop front that has a panelled stallriser and Midland Bank signs in the window. The photographs also show that between c.1914 and c.1923 the entrance was moved to the corner where it is today. Closed 1992, in 2002 premises of John Francis, estate agents.
Former bank building, English Baroque style. Two-storeys of red brick with Bath stone ground floor, and first floor dressings and balustrades. Slate roofs, hipped to left. Five bay front to Lammas Street divided 3 bays to left and added 2 bays to right, close-spaced and 7-bay left side to Water Street, virtually symmetrical with wider spaced bays. Windows in bays separated by pilasters on each floor with minor cornice over ground floor and full entablature with modillion cornice and balustraded parapet above. First floor windows are square headed in lugged ashlar surrounds with keystones and pediments, either curved or triangular, on console brackets. Triangular pediments to bays 1, 3, 4 and 5 on Lammas Street and 1, 4 and 7 on Water Street. Ashlar pilasters to angles of original Lammas Street 3 bays and to each side of the added 2 bays, also framing the outer bays of the Water Street front, otherwise brick pilasters with ashlar Ionic capitals and bases. Moulded sill course and deep horizontal band between ground and first floors but with balustrading between raised plinths only under outermost windows of both facades. Band formerly had Midland Bank lettering. The ground floor has rusticated pilasters over a high plinth broken forward at each pedestal. Arched windows with moulded heads, keystones and moulded imposts.
Horned sash windows to first floor with small-pane upper sashes; top-opening windows to front right. Ground floor fixed windows with 3-pane fanlights, except to front right; modern doors to entrances at left end of both front and side elevations. Pilasters to right end of both parts of the front have plaques reading: ''This pine end belongs to the house eastward''.
Ground floor banking hall altered in late C20.
Included as an ambitious commercial design by G. Morgan & Son, elaborately detailed on a prominent corner site.
Other nearby listed buildings