This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.816 / 51°48'57"N
Longitude: -4.1199 / 4°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 253971
OS Northings: 215161
OS Grid: SN539151
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.WSTV
Mapcode Global: VH4J7.JMT7
Entry Name: Former Dwelling to Rear of Heol-ddu
Listing Date: 14 January 1993
Last Amended: 5 February 1999
Source ID: 9754
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol-ddu is situated nearly 1km NW of Foelgastell, midway between Cefneithin and Porthyrhyd. This building is on the SW edge of the farm complex behind and a little to one side of the farmhouse; both
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A second house in the Heol-ddu group, giving rise to the suggestion that Heol-ddu farmstead may be an instance of what is called the 'unit system'. It is an interesting example of an C18 farm that is said to have been occupied by 2 brothers of the Lloyd family; 'LL' initials are found on the datestones of all the main buildings. This former dwelling is marked P LL [or R LL?] 1773. The difference of date compared with the principal house of 1748 is notable, as the house is conspicuously similar in its detailed design. The Phillip Lloyd known as a nonconformist benefactor from 1712 onwards, and probably the builder of the principal house, had two sons, but their names have not been ascertained; possibly one of them built this house. Later the house was downgraded to farm use; partitions were removed, a corn dryer was inserted in the kitchen, and stillages in the parlour. This change was perhaps at an early date; in the Tithe Survey (1847) there is no hint of dual occupation of the farmstead.
House of two storeys and an attic, in rubble sandstone masonry brought to courses at the front and randomly coursed elsewhere. Ashlar quoins. Considerable traces of whitewash. 45 degree pitch roof restored with modern single-lap tiles at front, slated but ruinous at rear. Ashlar end chimneys, that at left being the larger one serving the original kitchen.
The front is a range of three windows, slightly asymmetrical to allow for the kitchen hearth. Cambered arch heads, no sills remaining; remnants of casement windows with central mullions. Wide door (1.32m), without an overlight. In the left gable elevation are attic windows with dripmoulds each side of the chimney, in the right gable elevation are similar attic windows, the rear window blocked. In the rear elevation are two blocked stairs-windows, and a wide door at left with small barred window above. Beam-holes of a former extension at right, which does not appear to have communicated internally with the house. The datestone is at high level centrally in the left gable wall.
The original plan appears to have been the common one with central entrance opposite to a staircase; but no partitioning remains internally. However, the roof structure is of five bays with a wider bay centrally indicative of the plan-type. The kitchen was at left. Large kitchen hearth with an inserted pier of masonry its right, and an inserted boiler for animal feed. Close to this is a corn-dryer. In the part of the ground storey at right which had been the parlour there are stillages of stone slabs on stone piers against the front and end walls.
The first and attic floors have collapsed but some of the rotten beams remain.
In very poor condition at times of inspection (1992, 1998).
Listed as a building in this well-preserved C18 farm group nearly contemporary with the main house, and additionally for social history interest as a possible example of what is called the 'unit system'.
Other nearby listed buildings