History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberceri

A Grade II Listed Building in Beulah, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0496 / 52°2'58"N

Longitude: -4.4896 / 4°29'22"W

OS Eastings: 229378

OS Northings: 241948

OS Grid: SN293419

Mapcode National: GBR D6.F505

Mapcode Global: VH3KF.4RC4

Entry Name: Aberceri

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9878

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated overlooking Teifi, backing onto B4333 in Cwm Cou.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Beulah

Locality: Cwm Cou

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Newcastle Emlyn

History

1827 gentry house built for Robert Moseley Thomas, barrister (d1829). Passed to T. Parry Thomas, brother, surgeon, and from c1848 to 1869 rented to Davies family of Nantgwylan, Newcastle Emlyn, whose son the eccentric Forde Hughes added a drawing room wing. Sold 1873 and 1903. Later C19 bay windows. Illustrated before additions in 1832 H. Gastineau view of Teifi.

Exterior

Colour-washed stucco with slate hipped roof, and stuccoed end stacks. Paired bracket eaves. Two-storey, three-window front range, 4-pane sash to first floor centre with later C19 cornice on console brackets, two-storey later C19 2-4-2 pane canted bays each side. Early C19 four-panel door with radiating bar fanlight in columned porch. Two C20 cast Roman Doric columns, copying timber originals, timber pilaster responds, and cornice. Set back to each side are lean-to two-storey one-window wings with 12-pane sashes. Set back to right of right wing is c1850-60 tow-storey hipped addition, with one-window front. L-plan single storey outbuilding beyond. Rear has arched stair light.

Interior

Fine 1827 interiors with 6-panel doors, simple cornices, central hall to open-well stair with turned balusters and newels. First floor landing with 6-panel doors. Door to room in W wing is heavily plated in iron, perhaps inserted by Forde Hughes.

Reasons for Listing

A good early C19 gentry house.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.