This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1135 / 52°6'48"N
Longitude: -4.0783 / 4°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 257787
OS Northings: 248173
OS Grid: SN577481
Mapcode National: GBR DR.8YXC
Mapcode Global: VH4GX.84BL
Entry Name: Post Office
Listing Date: 11 March 1992
Last Amended: 10 February 2012
Source ID: 10432
Building Class: Communications
Location: Situated slightly set back from No 4 adjoining, on street line opposite St David's College entrance.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Constructed in 1933 as part of the inter-war reorganisation and growth of the Royal Mail and an example of the high quality neo-Georgian post offices of the period. Presumably designed by architects from the Office of Works, London.
Post Office in neo-Georgian style. Constructed in bath stone ashlar with roughcast upper floors; steep-hipped roof of green concrete tiles set back behind parapet. 3-storey, 7-window front, the outer windows narrower than rest. Two rendered tall stacks on front roof slope. Ashlar ground floor with plinth and band, stone sills to sash windows above 15-pane to first floor with 10-pane outer windows, 12-pane to upper floor with 8-pane outer windows and stone plain coping to parapet.
Ground floor has big shallow centre bow window with entablature inscribed 'Lampeter Post Office' in frieze and flanked by door each side within finely carved Corinthian doorcases with attached columns and projecting entablatures. Bolection moulded doorframes and 6-panel doors. Centre has small-paned stained-wood glazing 12-28-12 panes, the glazing bars including a centre roundel for clock. Panelled ashlar walling below. Each side is single arched window, narrow in recessed surround with matching glazing bars. Date carved on ground floor left.
Interior retains original dado panelling, counter and coffered ceiling.
Included for its special architectural interest as a good example of Inter-War Post Office of neo-Georgian design.
Other nearby listed buildings