This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1114 / 52°6'41"N
Longitude: -4.0798 / 4°4'47"W
OS Eastings: 257675
OS Northings: 247942
OS Grid: SN576479
Mapcode National: GBR DR.94PK
Mapcode Global: VH4GX.76J6
Entry Name: Capel Soar
Listing Date: 11 March 1992
Last Amended: 10 February 2012
Source ID: 10433
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently situated at W end of Victoria Terrace along SE side of The Common.
Community: Lampeter (Llanbedr Pont Steffan)
Built-Up Area: Lampeter
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Independent chapel of 1874, altered 1895.
Unpainted roughcast with stucco dressings and slate roof. Venetian Renaissance facade. Two-storey elevations with plain 4-window sides.
Front has slightly projecting pedimented centrepiece rising above flanking half-pediments, all over four giant
pilasters with entablature broken forward and terminated over inner pilasters to allow a depressed central arch. Block finials to apex and outer angles. Centre has blank roundel in pediment, spandrel panels over arch, keystone to arch and glazed roundel over pair of long arched windows at first floor. Arched and pedimented doorway below. Doorway has pilaster jambs, moulded arch, keystone and slate plaque in pediment, pair of windows above have sill-courses, pilaster jambs, moulded arches and keystones. Side bays have tall ground floor arched window with moulded shouldered architraves and keystones. Blank plaques over with rebated angles. These plaques, spandrels of centre arch, spandrels of doorcase, triangles in half-pediments and the apex roundel are all infilled in white quartz chippings.
Double doors with segmental head and crescent overlight. Pediment plaque records chapel built 1842 and
improved 1874 and 1895, though other sources indicate that it was rebuilt entirely in 1874.
Included for its special architectural interest as a substantial chapel in a prominent position overlooking The Common and for its distinctive appearance with an unusual Venetian style of facade with raised pediment.
Other nearby listed buildings