This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1129 / 52°6'46"N
Longitude: -4.0784 / 4°4'42"W
OS Eastings: 257775
OS Northings: 248104
OS Grid: SN577481
Mapcode National: GBR DR.9506
Mapcode Global: VH4GX.8582
Entry Name: Harford Fountain
Listing Date: 11 March 1992
Last Amended: 10 February 2012
Source ID: 10434
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated at main intersection in centre of the town.
Community: Lampeter (Llanbedr Pont Steffan)
Built-Up Area: Lampeter
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Erected in 1862 and restored 1990.
Fountain in grey Forest of Dean stone; a squat obelisk on big panelled pedestal base with iron spigots on each side. Spigots are mounted on wrought-iron cruciform supports and have brass fox-mask mouths. Obelisk has raised shield each side, one with carved Harford Arms and inscription below recording gift of fountain by J S Harford of Peterwell. Rear inscription from St John 4, 13-14. Semi circular basin in front of each face, the whole mounted on stone platform with corner blocks and two steps up each side.
Included for its special architectural interest as a prominent well designed structure located on the main square in the town and for its social historical importance as a public water fountain.
Other nearby listed buildings