This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0443 / 52°2'39"N
Longitude: -4.2859 / 4°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 243329
OS Northings: 240898
OS Grid: SN433408
Mapcode National: GBR DH.F7KF
Mapcode Global: VH3KJ.NWL7
Entry Name: Llanfair including attached W Range.
Listing Date: 13 January 1993
Last Amended: 13 January 1993
Source ID: 10608
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated by Afon Teifi some 4km E of Llandysul.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
C18 and earlier C19. House was owned by the Thomas family from late C18 to c1890.
Small country house, roughcast and rubble stone with slate roofs and stone stacks. Two storeys, roughly square plan by accretion. Asymmetrical 4-window S front with hipped roof, end stacks and bracketted eaves, projecting centre entrance gable; 2-window range of 12-pane sashes to right, single broad 20-pane sash with marginal glazing bars to each floor to left. Stone sills and cambered heads. First floor sill course. Centre has C20 bargeboards, attic stilted lunette with intersecting Y-tracery bars, first floor long arched window, 12-pane with radiating bar head and panelled door with intersecting Y-tracery fanlight to arched head. Door is 9-panel, mid C19, and timber doorcase has earlier C19 open pediment, the pilasters replaced in late C19. Asymmetrical front suggests an alteration or enlargement circa 1840-50 to an early C19 building. Rear wall has gable with tall arched stair-light.
W range: dated T.T 1796 and is lower, 4-window with roughcast and end stacks, the windows irregularly spaced and of differing widths suggesting a more complex history. 12-pane sashes except third which is broader with margin lights. Ground floor windows all have margin-lights. Half-glazed door in second bay and one additional window to right of door.
N end wall is rubble stone with indications of a rear outshut raised to 2-storey with 12-pane sash each floor when, probably in late C18 to early C19, a 3-window 2-storey rubble store range was added beyond. This has N front of similar 12-pane sashes above, 20-pane sash to ground floor left, centre 6-panel door with overlight, the door panels fielded, and big triple casement to right. Stone voussoirs to cambered heads. Stone E end stack and E end door at first floor level. Rear of this range has arched former stair light.
In east-facing area between the 3 main fronts is c1870-80 pair of gables, one larger to left, and built before the narrower one to right. Marginal glazing bars to sashes, brick window heads and bargeboards.
The oldest part is probably the range dated 1796 with some large oak cross-beams to ground floor and large cambered timber-lintel to N end fireplace, suggesting that 1796 date represents date of alteration not construction. S front range has interior detail of mid C19, stick baluster stair, plaster cornices, panelled shutters. Late C18 style wood fireplace in ground floor W room. c1870 range has library with panelled ceiling and notched surrounds to windows and doors. Servants' stair interstingly doubled with private stair from library to small upstairs room once used as chapel. N facing range, now service wing, has large E end fireplace.
Other nearby listed buildings