This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.045 / 52°2'41"N
Longitude: -4.2859 / 4°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 243331
OS Northings: 240975
OS Grid: SN433409
Mapcode National: GBR DH.F7K6
Mapcode Global: VH3KJ.NVLP
Entry Name: One of Four Linked Outbuildings forming Courtyard at Llanfair
Listing Date: 13 January 1993
Last Amended: 13 January 1993
Source ID: 10610
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated close to N of the house.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Dated TT 1797 and TMT 1847 on E range. Large 4-sided court-yard of farm-buildings and estate houses built for the Thomas family of Llanfair. Rubble stone with slate roofs, mostly 2-storey. E and N ranges have even roof-line, hipped at outer NE angle though interior of E range now open to roof. E range has camber-headed doors and small windows, all with stone voussoirs, one upper loading door towards S end and concrete block lean-to against centre. Arched cartshed entry at N end. N range has 2 similar cart entries with windows above, by NE angle, then tall barn-entry with cambered arch and then 4 well-spaced bays, alternate doors and windows below, 3 windows and a loading door above. Barn has 9-bay collar truss roof and is lofted for 4 bays. The roofs are similar throughout the N and E ranges, suggesting a single build c1847.
The W range also seems mid C19 with lower 2-storey outbuilding at NW linking to a big block of 2-storey estate housing. The outbuildings have 4 bays of pig-sties, an enclosed section and cartshed arch in NW angle. The house range appears to have comprised three 2-window houses with close-spaced arched windows and doors, ashlar voussoirs, one door now a window, and then 2 broader bays to left with arched cart-entries below and similar windows above. Cart entries are now glazed. Windows are small-paned narrow casements with single-pane fanlights above. One stone stack.
Adjoining to S is gabled stone gateway with dove-holes, big ashlar arch and wrought iron gates, aligned with similar entrance gateway at SE angle of yard.
Single-storey S range is the only one with clear evidence of 2 periods of building. The upper, left end of 6 stone-voussoir arches has W end straight joint and older pegged collar trusses. Two arches blocked. Attached SE gabled entry to court, arched with coped gable linked to square stone stack each side. Original gates now preserved on end wall of E range. S range continued W with arched window (brick-arched) door, tall arched door and arched cart-entry, with stone voussoirs, and then 2 small doors. Range appears to have been stable, loose-box, coach-house and tack-room.
Group value with the house at Llanfair.
Other nearby listed buildings