This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0045 / 52°0'16"N
Longitude: -3.7204 / 3°43'13"W
OS Eastings: 282002
OS Northings: 235403
OS Grid: SN820354
Mapcode National: GBR Y7.HXFH
Mapcode Global: VH5DY.GWJ7
Entry Name: Pantycelyn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 10905
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down a lane some 300m E of the centre of Pentre-ty-gwyn village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse possibly of late C16 origins, the family home of Dorothy Williams, mother of the divine and hymnodist William Williams, 1717-91. Williams lived at Pantycelyn from his marriage in 1748-9 until his death, and the house has remained in the family ever since, though Tithe Map for 1841 gives William Powell as owner, Philip Price occupant, with 147 acres (59.54 hectares). The house was altered in the later C19, when windows were enlarged and altered, the porch was added and the interior refitted. There is an engraving of part of the house (from a newspaper) at Pantycelyn, showing the right end with only one window right of the entry, lean-to porch with window over and one small first floor window to left of entry.
Farmhouse, dry dashed rubble stone with continuous slate roof and 3 rendered stacks, one each end and one to left of entry. Two storeys and loft, elongated 3-room plan. Irregular facade roughly divided by centre stack. To left is 3-window range, later C19 sashes with marginal bars each floor in left bay, shorter and narrower 12-pane horned sashes in other 2 bays. To right of stack, downhill end has front door in late C19 gabled roughcast porch with pointed entry. Half-glazed door within. Small 6-pane window over. The last 2 bays have windows at lower level, due to fall of ground, though eaves line is continuous. First floor centre 9-pane horned sash, then to right later C19 sash each floor with marginal bars.
S end wall has C20 loft light. Rear has mostly C20 windows. lower end has 2 windows each floor each side of door. Upper end has 9-pane and 12-pane first floor windows, C20 ground floor window, all to left, then large lean-to to right. This has roof hipped at S end, one rear window and a tall stone stack on roof slope at join with main roof.
Three room plan. Lower end kitchen may have been remodelled from a byre but the survival of a chamfered and curved wall-post at top of stairs just S of the entry suggests ancient domestic use for the lower end. Single flight of stairs on front wall between kitchen and front door. Door has stained glass panels of 1991 by Janet Hardy. Upper end has two parlours, both late C19 in character, but overlaying older construction. The centre chimney is very large, backing on entry, but infilled with C19 fireplace. First floor has heavy chamfered beams through both parts. Rear corridor of upper end shows massive curved feet of 2 roof-trusses, perhaps crucks. Lower end has full loft with evidence of considerable alteration in roof to achieve the present even roof-line. Three pegged collar trusses and a fourth close to the upper one, indicating changed roof-line.
Graded II* as the home of William Williams, outstanding figure of C18 Welsh religious life. The house itself deserves further investigation, but may be of C16 origins.
Other nearby listed buildings