This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0141 / 52°0'50"N
Longitude: -3.8154 / 3°48'55"W
OS Eastings: 275510
OS Northings: 236626
OS Grid: SN755366
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.HB84
Mapcode Global: VH4HF.TMBW
Entry Name: Henllys
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 10907
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1km NNW of Dolauhirion Bridge, approached from N via drive off road to Siloh some 250m W of junction with road to Cilycwm.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Circa 1825-30 remodelling of an earlier house, possibly late C17 or early C18. Owned by Lewis family from C16 to mid C18 and then various owners. Colonel David Williams owner 1788-l8l5. William Jones JP d1844 and his son David Williams d1861 are commemorated in the parish church, William Jones probably rebuilt the house. Owned by Thomas family of Brecon and rented out in earlier C20, Rev W. J. Constable tenant from 1917.
Colourwashed roughcast with two parallel slate roofs, low-pitched with four rendered end stacks. Two-storey, five-window long E front with flat boarded eaves. Formerly there were dormers in front roof. Hornless 9-pane sashes above and 12-pane below, centre tall door, half-glazed in big earlier C19 Doric porch with paired C20 stucco columns (replacing timber) and Greek cornice with triglyphs and mutules. N end has bargeboards and one first floor window. S end wall has single storey addition with hipped roof. Rear, probably built in two parts, has 12-pane sashes, in second bay arranged at mid-heights for stair lights. Doors between first and second window-ranges, and between third and fourth.
Earlier C19 plasterwork inside with square hall, elliptical arch to inner hall, which has similar arch to N to stair hall. Room to right of entry is opened out by two plainer (?later) arches into stair hall and two similar to stair hall. Piers have similar slightly Gothic plaster mouldings. Cornices with dentils and roundels. Inner hall has W apsed recess. Dog-leg stick baluster stair, possibly partly C18. Panelled shutters and 6-panel doors. Within the roof are the remains of a steeper pitched C17 or earlier C18 stone-tiled roof.
A well-preserved example of gentry house of the earlier C19 with good interior detail, and substantial remains of an earlier gentry house, notably the roof.
Other nearby listed buildings