This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9395 / 51°56'22"N
Longitude: -3.8835 / 3°53'0"W
OS Eastings: 270623
OS Northings: 228456
OS Grid: SN706284
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.MZ8X
Mapcode Global: VH4HS.MJT0
Entry Name: Church of Saint Cadoc
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 10936
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated towards the upper end of Church Street, in large churchyard with stone boundary wall.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Anglican parish church, medieval, repaired apparently in 1694 (plaque on tower). Much restored in 1888-9 by David Jenkins for £1,948, the body of the church extensively restored and partially rebuilt, including new roofs, porch, N walls, S transept, windows and tower parapet. A restoration planned in 1878 by R J Withers was not implemented.
Anglican parish church, rubble stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with red terracotta ridges, alternately crested. C14 tower, the rest retaining medieval masonry with some rebuilding and all detail of 1889. Nave and chancel basically medieval, north and south chapels, and S porch mostly of 1889. Simple Decorated style. Unbuttressed west tower with battered plinth and corbelled embattled parapet, restored in 1894. One late medieval 2-light flat-headed window with arch-headed lights on N side, possibly C16. Late C19 W door N and S single-light windows, 2-light square-headed bell-chamber openings with hoodmoulds, also late C19. Datestone under S bell-light D.MT/ IM 1694/ EI. DW?
Body of church has coped gables with kneelers and cross finials, windows of 1889 mostly 2-light geometric tracery with quatrefoils and hoodmoulds. Nave S has one window left of porch, two to right, nave N has 3 windows, buttress between first and second and wall is stepped out between second and third windows. Porch is late C19 with low angle buttresses, pointed arch with hoodmould and trefoil-headed side windows. N and S transepts have battered base to walls and 3-light late C19 end window with quatrefoils in head, hoodmould and red sandstone voussoirs. Chancel has similar 2-light windows to N and S, large E end 3-light with quatrefoils and trefoils in head, voussoirs of red sandstone. Chancel S plaque to John Jones Officer of Excise d 1780, S transept W has plaques to Anna Jenkins d 1828 and Anne Davies d 1786.
Plastered walls, later C19 boarded pointed nave roof with moulded ribs on corbels, 15 bays. Later C19 segmental pointed arch to tower. Tower has no vault and later C19 pointed W doorcase. Later C19 chancel arch on corbelled short columns, similar chancel roof but with cornice. Segmental-pointed transept arches.
S transept has later C19 organ in Gothic case. Late medieval octagonal font chamfered below to square with broached angles. Stone pulpit of 1889 with gothic panels. Later C19 pews, c1960 chancel furnishings.
Stained Glass: Nave N second window by Kempe & Co to Mr and Mrs T Richards, 1923; fifth to W N Lewis of Cefngornoeth by R J Newbery c1920. S third window to J Lewis of Dolgau d 1896 by R J Newbery. Chancel N and S windows to St Vincent Peel of Danyrallt d 1901, and E window to J and C Peel, 1899, all by R J Newbery.
Monuments: Nave S Thomas Lloyd of Danyrallt, fine Baroque memorial with 3 cherub heads and armorial plaque, 1727; W wall neo-Grec marble memorial to David Lloyd Harries of Llandingat House d1855. N transept W to Anna M Lloyd of Glansevin d 1738, marble with armorial plaque and panelled pilasters; and to Margaretta Hughes of Tregib d 1867 by J Williams of Llandeilo, marble sarcophagus and urn. Plain plaque to Edward Pryse Lloyd of Glansevin d 1766. N wall plaque with lilies to Caroline Pryse Lloyd d1839 by Lewis of Cheltenham. E wall fine marble memorial to Catherine Pryse Lloyd d1852 with couple ascending to heaven and a cherub holding a crown, by J E Thomas; Gothic memorial in three colours to Catherine Davies d 1870. S transept plaques, obscured by organ, those on E wall to the Lloyds of Danyrallt including Admiral William Lloyd d 1796, by T King of Bath, marble with urn. On W wall plaque to Thomas Lloyd d1672.
Listed as a church with medieval origins retaining a good C14 tower, the rest remodelled in a consistent late C19 Decorated style. The church contains a good set of C18 - C19 memorials. It is a key element in the village centre.
Other nearby listed buildings