This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9392 / 51°56'20"N
Longitude: -3.8832 / 3°52'59"W
OS Eastings: 270642
OS Northings: 228414
OS Grid: SN706284
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.N5F5
Mapcode Global: VH4HS.MJZ9
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 10937
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on E side of street, just S of churchyard.
Built-Up Area: Llangadog
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Late C18 or early C19 refronting of earlier house, of which large end chimneys and a C16 corbelled chimney base remain. The columned classical porch seems to have been added c1900. 1832 Danyrallt map book shows the house as L-plan with a detached parallel rear range (the parallel range now linked to the N rear wing, and this wing thickened with a range to the S). Occupied by Miss Lloyd in 1832, J W Lloyd of Danyrallt owner on 1839 Tithe Map. The house seems to have been the principal local house of the Lloyd family after the demolition of Danyrallt in 1840. A wall-painting is said to have been found in an upstairs room in the 1930s, since covered.
House, painted stucco, with slate roof behind parapet and rendered stacks, the left one projecting, the larger one to right on ridge between main house and added service range. Three-storey, three-window range to main house with single bay service range slightly recessed to right. House has sash windows, 9-pane to upper floor, 12-pane elsewhere, and centre arched doorway with 6-panel door (4 glazed) and fanlight. Chamfered quoins, simple cornice, and plain parapet with stone coping. Painted Ionic porch added c1900, with 2 pairs of columns, entablature and cornice. Half-column responds. Service wing is matching with right end stack, mid C19 windows, attic horizontally-sliding pair, first floor cross-window and ground floor smaller cross-window and low plain entry to right. Windows are small-paned with marginal bars. Added deep stone buttress of 4 steps to right.
Roughcast N end wall with massive external stack, stepped in once each side. First floor left-hand 12-pane window.
Long N rear range overlooking churchyard with slightly taller parallel range to S from the end of which a short wing runs S. N side has first the corbelled base of a C16 chimney, small window above and 2 small windows below. Wall steps out to left, curved to ground floor and further right a first floor triple and paired horizontally sliding sashes over two windows with stone voussoirs. E end gable has canted angle, first floor 2-light window with stone voussoirs. Paired gable of taller parallel range to S has 2-light attic window and 2-light first floor window. Range at right angles runs S with 2 upper windows to E.
Ground floor right room has Regency detail, reeded surrounds, 6-panel door, older beam encased. Marble classical fireplace in dining-room of fine quality, early C19 from Neuadd, Cilycwm. Exposed chamfered and stopped beam. Earlier C19 detail includes Tudor-arched entry to stair hall and doors. Stairhall has pyramid roof and top lantern, the stair rising up 2 sides to landing. Octagonal newel posts.
Graded II* as a fine Georgian townhouse with good contemporary interior and remnants of C16 to early C17 house. Part of an unusually good group of buildings on an urban scale.
Other nearby listed buildings