This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9417 / 51°56'30"N
Longitude: -3.8482 / 3°50'53"W
OS Eastings: 273050
OS Northings: 228635
OS Grid: SN730286
Mapcode National: GBR Y2.MVGL
Mapcode Global: VH4HT.7GYB
Entry Name: Plas Glansevin
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 10943
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 2 km E of Llangadog near the River Bran.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Country House, rebuilt in the early C19, probably incorporating part of the previous house. Known as Glansefin, Glansevin or Glansevin Uchaf, it was owned by the Lloyd, later Pryse Lloyd, family from the C16 to the C20. There are details of the plasterwork and the curved cantilevered stair reminiscent of John Nash's work, but it is said to have a date of 1823 (not seen) on the staircase. It would appear likely that this house and nearby Cilgwyn in Myddfai community, were designed by a follower or pupil of Nash. The thick internal wall to right of the hall and slight asymmetry of the front suggest that an older house is incorporated. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as Glansevin Uchaf, to courtyard plan. J H Morgan of Carmarthen was architect for alterations to the rear in 1917.
Country house, roughcast with slate roofs and rendered stacks. Three-storey, 7-window front, divided 2-3-2, the centre part slightly projected and pedimented. Modillion cornices in painted timber. Pediment has shield plaque with Lloyd crest.
Sash windows, 9-pane to upper floor, 12-pane elsewhere. Ground floor centre has two smaller 12-pane sashes and half-glazed double doors within 3-bay painted ashlar Roman Doric 4-column porch with 2 pilaster responds, flat entablature with dentilled cornice. Panelled inner door with part-glazed double doors.
End walls have one similar window each floor, set towards rear, E end also has sash to ground floor right.
Attached 2-storey SW rear wing, with eaves modillion cornice, double-fronted with 12-pane sashes except to ground floor left, which has 2 C20 small windows. E end wall of wing has 2 ground floor sashes and door.
Rear of main range has lean-to stair-projection with long stair-light, leaded later C19 glazing.
SE rear wing has eaves modillion cornice, and S end rendered stack. Two-storey, 4-window range of 12-pane sashes, ground floor without window in third bay and with larger sash in fourth. Rear has 2 added C20 dormers, lean-to to left, and one-window range of sashes to right.
Another rear wing encloses S side of rear courtyard, L-plan, the short arm abutting SW corner of SE rear wing, gabled N and S, S gable with rendered stack. Two-window roughcast short E side. Long rendered S side continues left from chimney gable with modern windows and porch. Rear of this range to courtyard has mostly modern windows and slate-roofed lean to around gable-end and W side
of short side.
Country house, central hall plan with principal room each side and lateral corridor across rear stair hall. Details generally of c1800-20 include reeded door and window cases, 6-panel doors, panelled shutters and delicate plaster mouldings much undercut. Entrance hall has moulded cornice, segmental-arched recess on E wall with plaster mouldings and panels in arch soffit, earlier C19 marble fireplace with paterae in angles on W wall. The broad elliptical arch at the N end is a C20 insertion, perhaps replacing a columned screen. A lateral passage with modillion cornice behind gives access to NE room and has panelled arch to W giving onto altered passage (with remnants of plasterwork) possibly originally to a garden door. Elliptical arch to stair hall on S. Stair hall has curved back wall with fine curving ashlar cantilevered stair. Scrolled wrought iron balusters and moulded rail. E and W of stair hall are panelled arches into rear wings. NE front room has fine moulded modillion cornice. Centre acanthus rose with border of quatrefoil rosettes. 2 doors on W wall, fireplace on E wall, grey marble with 2 columns, iron grate. NW front room has moulded cornice, rose with acanthus centre, border with husk festoons and radial Adamesque flutes. Earlier C19 white marble fireplace with floral angle plaques and centre plaque of classical female with harp. Iron grate. Wall between this room and hall is much thicker than that opposite, and possibly survives from earlier house.
Stair has plaster cornice with console brackets, and centre rose. Landing has elliptical arch N and round arches W and E, infilled with fire doors. To NW and NE doors show evidence of severe subsidence relatively early, as bolted iron strengthening plates look earlier C19. Simple cornices and details to front bedrooms. Second floor also has simple earlier C19 details. Roof has very broad queen-post roof trusses with angle struts.
SE rear wing has varied panelled doors, some with fielded panelling. Roof of pine queen-post trusses. Rear stair with stick balusters. One ground floor room has painted timber chimney-piece with festoons and drops.
S rear range is much altered with ground floor as one room, timber lintel E fireplace may be original, stone stairs to side rebuilt, possibly on original site. Thick walls in SW part and another large fireplace.
Graded II* as a substantial and well-detailed Georgian country house retaining high quality interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings