This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9928 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -3.7963 / 3°47'46"W
OS Eastings: 276757
OS Northings: 234226
OS Grid: SN767342
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JNYV
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.45WP
Entry Name: Llandovery Castle
Listing Date: 8 March 1966
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 10965
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated on prominent natural outcrop overlooking Afon Bran, on SE of main car park.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Remant of a medieval castle of late C13. The first castle was an earth motte with bailey, the motte formed from the hill overlooking the Afon Bran, probably built for Richard fitz Pons who was given the lordship of Cantref Bychan in 1116. Repeatedly lost to the forces of the lords of Deheubarth even though Henry II spent a great deal on the castle in 1159-62. It was not secured by the English until 1277, though lost briefly to Llywelyn the Last in 1282. After this it was granted to John Giffard who was instructed to repair the defences and probably built the present masonry castle. It passed to the Barons Audley of Heleigh 1299 who also became Lords of Cemaes in N Pembrokeshire, and passed with Cemaes to the Touchet family in the later C14. Henry IV visited in 1400 and it was besieged by Owain Glyndwr in 1403. It was burnt in an uprising in 1532 by Hywel ap Rhys and thereafter was disused and a quarry for stone. The early C19 views show much the same remains as now.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Remnants of late C13 castle, chiefly a large D-shaped tower to the W with part of a twin-towered gatehouse with a well-turret to the N and sections of the curtain wall around the motte.
Included as substantial remains of a medieval castle.
Other nearby listed buildings