This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9636 / 51°57'49"N
Longitude: -3.9808 / 3°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 264005
OS Northings: 231314
OS Grid: SN640313
Mapcode National: GBR DW.LK6Z
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.YXC1
Entry Name: Farmhouse at Gelli Cefn y Rhos
Listing Date: 28 April 1975
Last Amended: 1 March 1995
Source ID: 11129
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Isolated farmhouse in the hills to the S of Talley. At end of long lane off Talley-Cwmdu by-road.
Community: Talley (Talyllychau)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C16 reconstructed cruck-framed hall house with attached byre of 1915. 1st storey rubble built (formerly whitewashed) long low farmhouse. Corrugated iron roof concealing thatch of considerable age. Wide wooden soffits. Rendered gable stacks, thicker to left with drips. Pronounced curve in wall to left denoting staircase within, with 4-pane window; timber lintel. 3 windows to right with timber lintels, 5-pane hornless sashes; vertical glazing bars only. Three small skylights to roof.
Attached to left is the former byre. One storey, rubble built, corrugated iron roof extended to form canopy over former cross-passage door to right. Brick quoins and head to doorway, boarded door. 3 windows to left, similarly dressed in brick. Doorway to extreme left treated as above with divided stable type boarded door. Return elevation of byre with datestone (1915) to gable. Ground floor doorway with brick cambered heads and jambs. Divided stable type boarded door. Similar loft doorway with boarded door above.
2 small rear lean-to extensions to house one Georgian, the other early C20. The latter conceals a small 2-light timber diamond mullion window; to the rear wall of the house: this is probably late C16. Victorian 4-paned horned sash to right of above extension.
Internally, the building reveals itself as a reconstructed cruck framed hall house of scarfed cruck construction with the remains of a further scarfed cruck. The main chimney and first floor were possibly inserted c1600- the parlour also probably belongs to this date. The resultant plan is that of a central service room between hall and parlour. Georgian panelled and planked partitions to ground floor central room. Plain chamfered beams to ground floor central room and hall, deeply chamfered beams to parlour, indicating a C17 extension. Original bressumer to hall fireplace with inset 1940s tiled grate. Doorway off cross passage still in use. Part of cross passage and byre sympathetically converted for extra accommodation.
Listed as an important vernacular farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings