This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0472 / 52°2'49"N
Longitude: -3.9612 / 3°57'40"W
OS Eastings: 265603
OS Northings: 240568
OS Grid: SN656405
Mapcode National: GBR DX.F437
Mapcode Global: VH4H5.9T70
Entry Name: The Dolaucothi Arms
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 11132
Building Class: Commercial
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early C19 with C18 core: the roof structure of part of the rear wing suggests that a C18 N-S building was truncated at its S end in the early C19 when the present front range was added. Later in the C19 the rear wing was extended to the N and a rear outshut added to the NE. Shown on 1841 Tithe Map: owner, John Johnes of Dolaucothi. George Borrow stayed here in 1854 finding it a "comfortable old fashioned place with a very large kitchen and a rather small parlour".
Rendered colourwashed walls and slate roof. Rendered gable chimney stacks, thicker to right. Two-storey, three-bay symmetrical facade. Tall upper 12-pane horned sashes, wider 16-pane ground floor sashes, all with raised cemented double lugged architraves. Central doorway with elliptical head, paired panelled doors, glazed overlight, cemented raised architrave. Similarly raised sill-band above. C20 single storey lean-to to left with 2-light 4-pane casements. Right end with 4- panel C19 door to left, two 4-pane horned sashes to right, all with raised cemented double lugged architraves. Six-pane horned sash to first floor with 4-pane window to right, architraves as above. Single pane attic window. Raised lettering to first floor with surround: "Dolaucothi Hotel".
Rear with wing to right, rendered gable stack. Roof of main building extending over outshut to left. Road elevation of wing with upper pivoted 4-pane window, 2-light cast iron latticed casement to right. Transom and mullion window below with cast iron latticed glazing.
Much altered. Late C19 dogleg stick-baluster stair, square simple chamfered newels. Six-panel doors to ground floor front rooms. Panelled window shutters and later C19 marble chimneypiece to ground floor left room. Front block with collarbeam roof, 5 pairs of sawn and adzed trusses with crossed and notched apexes. The southern part of the rear wing has two pairs of collarbeam sawn and adzed trusses of possibly mid C18 date with pegged halved and notched apexes and morticed pegged collarbeams: these apparently extended further S and were truncated when the front E-W range was built.
Attractive inn in good village setting.
Other nearby listed buildings