This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0472 / 52°2'49"N
Longitude: -3.9608 / 3°57'38"W
OS Eastings: 265630
OS Northings: 240568
OS Grid: SN656405
Mapcode National: GBR DX.F46J
Mapcode Global: VH4H5.9TF0
Entry Name: Former Carthouse and Stable opposite Dolaucothi Arms
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 11133
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in village centre on N side of A482 opposite the Dolaucothi Arms Hotel.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built 1833, former stables of the Dolaucothi Arms. Owner in 1841 was John Johnes of Dolaucothi.
Rubble built, squared quoins. Slate roof, slated barges. Two-storey symmetrical facade. Three upper 16-pane 2- light casements, cambered stone voussoired heads, slate sills. Central pair of round-arched cart doors to ground floor, stone voussoirs, central pier of dressed stone. Planked double doors, strap hinges. Semicircular window each side, stone voussoirs, simple tripartite vertical glazing. Datestone below central window.
Right gable end with ground floor doorway, cambered stone voussoired head, divided stable-type planked door. Blocked door above offset to right, similar head. Left end with ground floor doorway, C20 planked door, head as above. Flight of cemented stone steps to planked loft door, head as above. Semi-circular stone vaulted recess under stair. Later miscellaneous farm buildings to rear, upper door rising to eaves, C20 door.
Prominent early C19 former estate building with carefully proportioned stonework detailing. Attractive village setting.
Other nearby listed buildings