This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.977 / 51°58'37"N
Longitude: -3.9923 / 3°59'32"W
OS Eastings: 263254
OS Northings: 232824
OS Grid: SN632328
Mapcode National: GBR DW.KNC5
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.RK8S
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 1 March 1995
Source ID: 11151
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in spacious churchyard immediately adjoining the Premonstratensian Abbey ruins.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Parish church dated 1773, replacing that within Abbey ruin. Gothicised 1863 and again in 1876. Chancel added/rebuilt 1892.
Anglican Parish Church of 1773. Broad aiseless nave with small narrower chancel. Rubble masonry with squared quoins. Moderately pitched slate roof, oversailing eaves, close verges. Late C19 gabled W bellcote with cross finial. Triple lancet. W window of 1876 above twin pointed doorways. Stone voussoirs to doorways, later planked doors. 3 2-light Decorated windows of 1863 to N and S walls of nave. 1773 date to quoin at SW corner. Blocked window to former gallery at NW corner, cambered head, stone voussoirs. Later lower chancel with Decorated E window. Small partially blocked N chancel window obscured by small rubble lean-to.
Complete set of 1773 oak box-pews in 3 ranks with fielded panels. Each one numbered, gradated on N side of nave for retainers and Williams family of Edwinsford. Moulded panels to family pew at NE corner of nave. Similar panelling to contemporary pentagonal pulpit. Font, probably late C18, Bathstone octagonal bowl upon pedestal and base. Late C19 detail to chancel. Boarded wagon roof. W gallery removed 1876. Monument to Sir Nicholas Williams of Edwinsford (d 1745). Cartouche over cornice carried on fluted Corinthian pilasters. Apron and pulvinated brackets with acanthus moulding. Coloured E window of 1976 in memory of William John Davies (d 1973).
A rare survival of C18 furnishings. Listed II* principally for this reason and the setting next to Talley Abbey. Group value with Abbey ruins to S.
Other nearby listed buildings