This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.976 / 51°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.992 / 3°59'31"W
OS Eastings: 263273
OS Northings: 232711
OS Grid: SN632327
Mapcode National: GBR DW.KNFQ
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.RLFK
Entry Name: Y Plas
Listing Date: 9 August 1990
Last Amended: 1 March 1995
Source ID: 11152
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in its own grounds immediately to S of ruined Abbey.
Community: Talley (Talyllychau)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
In 1826, Plas was available for lease, being described as "an old farmhouse" with the possibility of a new "respectable house" being built. It was purchased in 1828 by Sir James Hamlyn Williams of Edwinsford, who probably began a new house. A letter from his agent, Daniel Price of Talley House, dated 25/03/1832 discusses the overcharging of Rees Williams, blacksmith "in respect of the buildings at Plas".
Circa 1832 Regency Gothick style house. 2-storey, rubble masonry, formerly stuccoed. Hipped roof, valleyed to rear, wide plastered eaves. Rendered chimney stacks set back on ridges. Symmetrical 3-window front. Pointed arched windows with stone voussoirs. Victorian 6-pane horned sashes with vertical glazing bars only. Similarly glazed fanlights to windows. Pointed doorway, stone voussoirs, fanlight as above. Modern part-glazed door.
Single arched window to first floor of W elevation with original Y-traceried fanlight, sash as above. 2 similar windows to ground floor left, window to right as front elevation. Tall pointed window to right hand return elevation, Y-traceried head above 2-light 8 paned casement. Y-traceried head to 16-pane cellar window below.
Rear elevation with pointed central doorway, recessed half-glazed door. Original glazing to ground floor left window: 16-pane horned sash with Y-traceried fanlight. Pointed head, stone voussoirs. 2 similar windows to first floor.
L-shaped service wing adjoins to N. Single storey, slate roof with hipped angle. Large rubble end chimney stack. 3-light casement windows with stone voussoirs.
Edwinsford Papers 3073 (NLW, Aberystywth).
Annals of Edwinsford, Clovelly and Hawthornden F D Williams Drummond 1924 p 14.
Contemporary dogleg staircase off central access passage. Panelled doors.
Fine Regency house in centre of village.
Other nearby listed buildings