This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8799 / 51°52'47"N
Longitude: -4.064 / 4°3'50"W
OS Eastings: 258026
OS Northings: 222166
OS Grid: SN580221
Mapcode National: GBR DS.RNLG
Mapcode Global: VH4J2.H0WN
Entry Name: Lodge to Aberglasney, including stone archways into courtyard
Listing Date: 20 September 1990
Last Amended: 30 January 2003
Source ID: 11157
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the NW of the house and beside a lane to Grongar Farm
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Aberglasney was built by Bishop Rudd of St Davids from 1600 and was one of the largest houses in Carmarthenshire according to the hearth-tax assessment of 1670. It was sold in 1710 to Robert Dyer, who rebuilt and extended the house in the general form in which it now survives. It has been argued that the general layout of the gardens was the work of the Rudd family in the C17. Further major development was undertaken in the early C19, after the purchase by the Philipps family, which included the construction of coach houses and farm buildings around a courtyard NW of the house.
The lodge, with integral stable and cart shed, was built in the early C19 and is first shown on the 1839 Tithe map, an integral component of the development of farm buildings at Aberglasney. The division of the range into 3 units is shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey.
A Picturesque 1½-storey lodge, with a scribed render front, rubble-stone side and rear walls, slate roof projecting on bracketed eaves with cusped barge boards to the front gable, skylights, and hipped to the rear. There is a central stone ridge stack and blue-brick stack in the hipped rear. The lower storey has a hipped veranda with diamond-pattern slate roof on pairs of thin wooden posts with wide elliptical arches. The lower storey comprises a 3-bay blind arcade in coursed freestone with round arches and impost band. A panelled door in the central bay incorporates raised fields, and is flanked by 2-light casements in the outer bays. In the upper storey is a central oval window flanked by replaced 2-light casements.
The R (N) side wall facing the road has a segmental-headed window with 2-light casement. Attached to the angle with the front is a gate pier with pyramidal cap and retaining iron pintles. The rear angle is splayed to the height of an attached boundary stone wall and corbelled to square above. The W wall has a blocked wide chamfered doorway, the original access to the cart shed. The S side wall facing the courtyard has, between the 2 archways, a 2-light casement lower R and blocked doorway upper L, beneath a gable. Further L is a wide segmental carriage doorway, and doorway then window to its R. All have stone segmental heads and restored glazing. At the L end is a segmental-headed window, L of which is an abutting rubble-stone wall running across the yard. To the upper R is a 2-light dormer window with cusped barge boards.
Attached to the S side are 2 stone archways that link the lodge with the former stables and cart shed. The front (E) arch is in freestone with double roll moulding and capitals to a round arch, copied from the moulding on the gatehouse NW of the main house. It has coursed freestone to the spandrels and is crowned by a projecting coping course. The plainer inner arch is rubble stone with voussoirs, and retains gate pintles.
Listed as a well-detailed C19 estate building and for group value with other listed courtyard buildings and associated items at Aberglasney.
Other nearby listed buildings