This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0606 / 52°3'38"N
Longitude: -3.8213 / 3°49'16"W
OS Eastings: 275230
OS Northings: 241816
OS Grid: SN752418
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.D8RV
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.QG5N
Entry Name: Neuadd Fawr
Listing Date: 8 October 1990
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 11163
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in its own wooded grounds below the SE slope of Mynydd Mallaen, approached by drive of some 800m running N from junction 1km N of Cilycwm.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Locality: Neuadd Fawr
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The derelict remains of one of the best neo-classical houses in SW Wales. Built c1828-31 for Capt. Richard Davys, who died in 1831, when the house may have been unfinished. the style of the house suggests, as architect, Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury, but it would behis first work in SW Wales. W D Harries, later W Campbell-Davys, succeeded in 1831 and may have completed the buildings. He died in 1885, and some additions were made by his son Richard in 1889. The house remained in the ownership of the Cambell-Davys family but was gradually abondened from c1950. there may be part of a house built 1784 for William Davys to plans by W John of Talley within, but condition is too poor to ascertain.
Unpainted stucco neoclassical house of two storeys with hipped deep-eaved roofs and rendered stacks. Handsome main E front of 1-3-1 bays, the outer bays advanced with paired giant pilasters, neo-Grec moulded caps and bases, deep entablature with roof eaves replacing cornice, as originally there was a parapet with raised balustraded centrepieces to each outer bay, removed c1900. Ground floor full-length 4-12-4-pane tripartite sash with entablature under cambered arch. First floor sill-band and 12-pane sash in shouldered architrave. Centre is recessed with neo-Grec loggia of three bays carrying balcony with simple iron rail. Loggia has square piers and moulded entablature. Within are French windows in shouldered architraves with blind-boxes. Above are 12-pane sashes without surrounds. Two large stacks on main ridge. Right end wall is utilitarian, three-window. S entrance front, 2 bays with paired angle pilasters and entablature strips. 12-pane sash each floor to right. 4-12-4-pane sash with entablature under cambered arch to first floor left, over very broad elliptical-arched entry, the delicately-traceried broad fanlight with coloured glass margin mostly broken. Double panelled doors with big sidelights. Very unusual Greek Ionic porch with 4 massive paired cast-iron outer columns and full entablature. Four wreaths in frieze. To left, set back is 3-storey, 2-window plainer block with raised framing strip, plain 12-pane attic windows, 4-12-4-pane first floor windows under cambered arches, and plain 4-12-4-pane ground floor sashes. Very long cross-axial centre stack. Rear N wall is utilitarian with lean-to and gabled centre dated 1889. Service range to NW is a big utilitarian 3-storey hipped rendered block butting on to Coach House end wall. Some windows with terracotta keystones as on 1889 dated section, mainly hornless sashes, plainer still to N side whence returned into internal courtyard behind main house.
Collapsed and largely denuded of decorative features 1995.
An exceptional fine country house, now in a ruinous condition.