History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cefn Sidan, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6911 / 51°41'27"N

Longitude: -4.2761 / 4°16'33"W

OS Eastings: 242775

OS Northings: 201599

OS Grid: SN427015

Mapcode National: GBR GQ.DG55

Mapcode Global: VH3M8.TRSH

Entry Name: Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 March 1966

Last Amended: 3 February 2012

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11874

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back from the road approximately 400m N of the parish church.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Cefn Sidan

Locality: Pembrey

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Pembrey

History

The present house was possibly built, on a site occupied since the C14-C15, by Walter Vaughan, who was High Sheriff in 1557, as a ground-floor 3-unit hall range with first-floor great chamber. It was extended in the early C17 with the construction of a service wing to the rear linked by a contemporary cross wing housing a kitchen and creating an inner courtyard plan. The sunk-chamfered windows and diagonally set chimneys probably date to this period and represent high-status architectural detailing of the late Elizabethan period. They may have been an attempt to create a unified appearance by altering the existing windows to match the windows in the new service range. At the same time the corbelled projection to the front, which possibly housed a staircase was also probably added as well as the gatehouse (or outbuilding) to the south as both are stylistically very close. The house passed to the Asburnham family in 1677 and alterations were carried out c.1700 to create a parlour at the upper (w) end of the hall, provided with tall mullioned and transom windows. In the early C19th the lower end of the hall range was partitioned with a masonry wall, possibly as part of the subdivision of the house into separate dwellings for the farm tenants and officials of the estate. The estate remained in the Ashburnham family until it was sold in 1922 and the house has been uninhabited since c1960.

Exterior

House, Comprising 2-storey main range with later service range to rear. Of rubble stone, roofless but retaining square rubble stacks with moulded caps. The main range faces S and is of 6 bays with a projecting 2 storey bay to the R of centre, the upper storey of which projects on a corbel table. To the L are 3 bays, two with later tall windows of c1700. To the R is a 2-window range with stone mullioned windows. The R gable end has an external stack with paired diagonal chimneys. Connected to the rear at right angles to the right is a short wing with stone steps to a 1st floor doorway, and a 3-light window with sunk chamfered mullions. Beyond and parallel with the main range is the rear service wing added as part of the early C17 modernisation with a timber 3-light mullioned window in the lower storey and corbelled 1st floor stack. The rear service wing forms an open courtyard accessed from the W. Overgrown on inspection in 2011.

Interior

Entirely roofless and floorless but retains lateral chimney in the north wall of the former ground-floor hall and fireplace in the hall above. The buffet (or built-in display cupboard) created in the c.1700 alterations survives in the cross wall of the inner room of the hall.

Reasons for Listing

Entirely roofless and floorless but retains lateral chimney in the north wall of the former ground-floor hall and fireplace in the hall above. The buffet (or built-in display cupboard) created in the c.1700 alterations survives in the cross wall of the inner room of the hall.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.