This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7385 / 51°44'18"N
Longitude: -4.3081 / 4°18'29"W
OS Eastings: 240724
OS Northings: 206941
OS Grid: SN407069
Mapcode National: GBR GP.BRMZ
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.8KTM
Entry Name: The Town Gate
Listing Date: 5 December 1963
Last Amended: 28 July 1998
Source ID: 11877
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated at SW end of Castle Street, some 130m WSW of Kidwelly Castle.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Medieval gateway, probably early C14, though aid for walling the town was given in 1280-1. The principal gate to the small walled town SW of the castle. Reconstruction drawings suggest a single rectangular structure with chamfered spur-footed angles, of three storeys with battlements. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Rubble stone ruinous gateway, the front and side walls of a substantial gatehouse with traces of three storeys within. Broad segmental-pointed main arch of four steps, chamfered to front, portcullis slot between 2nd and 3rd steps. Side to left is obscured by public house, but has corbelled first floor chimneybreast. Three upper floor broad cambered headed windows, presumably to a principal hall, robbed of ashlar. Side to right has two narrow first floor lancets, robbed of ashlar, and two ground floor loops. Chamfered SW angle with spur foot. S wall has mostly gone, N wall survives to full height with short return remaining of inner E wall.
Numerous window and fireplace embrasures to rear of front wall and rear of N wall, including two blocked N lancets. The gateway was originally stone vaulted.
Listed as a Medieval town gateway of national importance as a surviving structure from the town defences.
Other nearby listed buildings