This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8051 / 51°48'18"N
Longitude: -4.9665 / 4°57'59"W
OS Eastings: 195573
OS Northings: 215987
OS Grid: SM955159
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XDRH
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.VWRM
Entry Name: Sunday School to Hill Park Baptist Church
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12206
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at foot of Prendergast Hill, on raised terrace, with gable front to roundabout.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former Baptist chapel, now schoolroom, built 1857-8 by James Rowlands of Haverfordwest for Welsh speaking congregations. Rowlands bought the site and designed the chapel, which cost £1400. Welsh services were abandoned in 1880 due to declining numbers, and the chapel revived as an English speaking congregation, for which a larger chapel was required, built adjoining the original one in 1888-91. The original chapel became the schoolroom, and in 1921 the vestry beneath the former chapel was enlarged by excavating into the rock.
The chapel being on the upper level was originally entered from outside steps entered from a covered colonnade that ran across the basement front. The small-paned windows have been altered to plate glass since 1974.
Former chapel, now schoolroom, unpainted stucco with slate roof overhanging at eaves and with front pediment with large mutules. Simple two-storey facade with quoins, three long arched upper windows with C20 plate glass over three plate glass large sash windows. The arched windows had radiating tracery and margin lights in 1974, and the windows below were 3 panes wide with margin lights. Small added lobby projects at left hand end with narrow arched window in gable end, with coloured glass margins. C20 double doors with overlight in side wall. Side walls of chapel are rendered with two arched upper windows and flat eaves.
Interior not inspected.
Included for its special interest as a prominent pedimented chapel building, of group value with the present chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings