This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8786 / 51°52'42"N
Longitude: -5.309 / 5°18'32"W
OS Eastings: 172342
OS Northings: 225180
OS Grid: SM723251
Mapcode National: GBR C3.RZST
Mapcode Global: VH0TK.X1QP
Entry Name: Lifeboat House
Listing Date: 28 July 1992
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12695
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Situated in Porthstinian cove some 3km off Saint David's.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Locality: Porthstinian/St Justinian's
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1911 lifeboat house, designed by W T Douglas of London, engineer and architect to the RNLI. Set on high reinforced concrete latticed piers supporting flat deck to E with steep steps up and sloping slipway to W; the lifeboat house encloses top end of slipway.
Functional timber-framed walls clad in painted corrugated iron and curved roof of similar cladding carried on thin bolted steel trusses. Three windows each side, casement pairs with top-lights, stepping down slope. Rear central door with cambered-headed casement pair above. Front curved gable, with modern plastic-coated window, slightly overhanging full-width folding timber doors. Galleried room over front is later C20 addition. Lifeboat house was built to accommodate new motor lifeboat after the disastrous 1910 loss of the previous boat with three of the crew.
Other nearby listed buildings