This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4898 / 51°29'23"N
Longitude: -3.5029 / 3°30'10"W
OS Eastings: 295753
OS Northings: 177831
OS Grid: SS957778
Mapcode National: GBR HH.K9MN
Mapcode Global: VH5HL.7TJ9
Entry Name: Church of St Canna
Listing Date: 22 February 1963
Last Amended: 22 July 2003
Source ID: 13155
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At the north end of Llangan village.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llangan (Llan-gan)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably C12 in origin and plan, with the core walling possibly surviving in part, though very limited. Possibly C14 rood stair and chancel arch. Some C16 fabric may survive in the porch, but the church was externally almost completely rebuilt probably in 1856 (''recently rebuilt'' in 1869 which suggests further work). The building has been unaltered since apart from the introduction of electricity.
The church is built of local limestone large random rubble ie. vertical crazy paving; with probably Bath stone dressings and Welsh slate roofs.
Simple nave with west bell-cote, south porch, chancel and north chancel vestry/schoolroom.
The nave has a 3-light window to the left and a 2-light one to the right of the central gabled porch, which has a Tudor arched doorway with medieval statue niche above, coped gable and cross. The windows are lancet type with trefoil heads in line. Coped east and west gables, double bell-cote on west gable, cross on east. Tall lancet with trefoil head in west gable. Two 2-light windows on north wall. Two fragments of C11 and C12 gravestones are set into the south and west walls of the chancel.
The chancel has a lower roofline with coped east gable and cross. Single light window in south wall, stepped 3-light one in east wall. The north wall is wholly covered by an almost equal gabled vestry/schoolroom also with 3-light east window. North wall with single light window and tall chimney, west gable with Tudor arched doorway and trefoil above.
The internal faces of the medieval walls seem to survive in part together with the mural stair to the rood-loft with its upper and lower doors, though the upper one may be a Victorian replacement. The lower door became the entry to the schoolroom. Otherwise everything is Victorian except for the chancel arch, the C12 tub font on a C19 base, three C18 wall tablets with one to John Thomas dated 1764 signed by Henry Wood of Bristol and a good slate benefactions board. Scissor brace nave roof and 3-bay arched brace collar roof to the chancel. There is said to be a chalice dated 1576 and the register commences in 1488. Of the two bells, one is probably medieval and the other is dated 1881.
Included as a mid C19 church with some surviving medieval features.
Other nearby listed buildings