This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4751 / 51°28'30"N
Longitude: -3.5047 / 3°30'16"W
OS Eastings: 295596
OS Northings: 176198
OS Grid: SS955761
Mapcode National: GBR HH.L963
Mapcode Global: VH5HS.66L1
Entry Name: Milepost on north-east side of A48, opposite to Twmpath Farm
Listing Date: 24 October 1980
Last Amended: 23 July 2003
Source ID: 13407
Building Class: Transport
Location: On north-east side of A48, opposite to Twmpath Farm and the junction to Colwinston village.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Colwinston (Tregolwyn)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1835 and erected by the Cowbridge District Turnpike Trust
Ornately moulded cast-iron milepost in Gothic style, one of a series on the A48 to the West of Cardiff. Rectangular panels at the base, the lower one with date '1835' and the upper one with the words 'Colwinston Parish'. Behind and above this, a tall crowning tablet with rounded head and the inscription 'Cowbridge District' at the top. Two pointed panels protrude from the lower part of this tablet, the left hand one inscribed 'To Cowbridge 3' and the right hand one inscribed 'To Bridgend 4'. A segmental panel inscribed 'London 173' below these and above rectangular panels at base. See similar listed mileposts in City of Cardiff, namely, in Cowbridge Road East and West and in the Museum of Welsh Life at St Fagans.
Included as a particularly elaborate turnpike milepost which is one of a series on the A48.
Other nearby listed buildings