This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0446 / 52°2'40"N
Longitude: -4.5242 / 4°31'26"W
OS Eastings: 226992
OS Northings: 241475
OS Grid: SN269414
Mapcode National: GBR D5.F8H4
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.JVMZ
Entry Name: The Old Smithy
Listing Date: 2 March 1994
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14232
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite the Three Horseshoes Inn and adjoining Y Garth and Penybanc.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A vicarage stood on the site but the present building was built as the National School, in use until 1860, the schoolroom being upstairs and reached by an outside E end stair; the master's house and coach-house was below. The smithy addition may have been originally added for the school, but unexecuted plans for additions to the school by C J Davies of Cenarth 1856 are in the Carmarthen Record Office, with the smithy building not marked. The smithy, run by Edward Jones, probably began in 1860.
Earlier C19 former school and attached former smithy of 1860. Grey coursed rubble stone and slate roofs. Former school has stone end wall stacks, larger to left; two-storey, three-window front with three large pointed casement windows above, 9-pane with steep traceried heads and stone voussoirs and slate sills. Ground floor has ledged door to left and 9-pane casement to centre, both with stone voussoirs and casements to cambered heads, and blocked cart-entry to right with broad depressed arch, stone voussoirs and keystone, and inserted C20 4-light casements, whitewashed rendered C20 addition to left and large rear SE additions.
Smithy: Single storey, double-fronted with C20 window each side of stable door, stone voussoirs with keystones to cambered heads. Similar window to E end wall. Corrugated iron front lean-to. Interior has broad rear door, two hearths in SE and SW angles, slate flagged floor and collar-truss roof. Large C20 addition behind.
Other nearby listed buildings