This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0425 / 52°2'33"N
Longitude: -4.4921 / 4°29'31"W
OS Eastings: 229185
OS Northings: 241166
OS Grid: SN291411
Mapcode National: GBR D6.FJFP
Mapcode Global: VH3KF.3X2L
Entry Name: Gelligatti
Listing Date: 2 March 1994
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14246
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated overlooking Teifi valley, some 2km WNW of Newcastle Emlyn, approached by lane running W of the Cwm Sarah lane
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Gelligatti was owned by the Vaughans of Golden Grove from the C17, passing to the Earls of Cawdor. It is a farmhouse of unusual scale, part of a late C19 model farm. Lord Cawdor employed J W Poundley of Montgomeryshire for model farm buildings elsewhere on the estate, and he may have been the architect here
Later C19 large farmhouse, said to have been built as the agent's house for the Cawdor estate. Coursed rubble stone with rendered angle strips and big hipped valley roof with two axial yellow brick and slate stacks. Square plan, two-storey three-window range of 12-pane sashes with cut-stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre C20 door with fanlight in hipped lean-to stone porch with centre gable over arched entry and yellow brick impost band. Two-window W side with hipped ground floor lean-to. Three-window E side, three upper 12-pane sashes, one to ground floor left, and centre cross window.
Front garden is enclosed by rubble stone low wall with vertical stone coping.
Stick baluster staircase, 4-panel doors and rear kitchen has big oak fireplace beam dated 1871.
Other nearby listed buildings