This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0269 / 52°1'36"N
Longitude: -4.5099 / 4°30'35"W
OS Eastings: 227899
OS Northings: 239473
OS Grid: SN278394
Mapcode National: GBR D6.GD0F
Mapcode Global: VH2N4.SB40
Entry Name: Pengwern Uchaf
Listing Date: 2 March 1994
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14249
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.2km WNW of Penrherber.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Dated 1756, but remodelled in earlier C19.
Large farmhouse, colourwashed rubble stone with slate roof and late C19 brick end stacks. Two storeys, five bays, irregular spacing, the first with 16-pane hornless sash each floor, the second with C19 gabled timber porch, door and overlight, the third with 12-pane sash below, the windowhead cambered, and 16-pane hornless sash above, the fourth with 16-pane hornless sash below and 4-pane sash above (probably originally 16-pane). The end bay has a small late C19 4-pane sash in the fire-window position and the dateplaque 'RM 1756' in the upper angle. Windows have painted slate sills, upper windowheads are under eaves, lower windowheads are rendered. Rear roof is outshut with renewed eaves boards. S end wall has cambered-headed door and three 4-pane sashes.
One of the few houses dated to the C18 in the area. The 16-pane sashes would appear to be of the earlier C19, and the chimneys and four-pane sashes of the late C19 or early C20. Marked on the 1839 Tithe Map as owned by John Colby, occupied by James Evans.
Other nearby listed buildings