This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8176 / 51°49'3"N
Longitude: -3.0657 / 3°3'56"W
OS Eastings: 326634
OS Northings: 213754
OS Grid: SO266137
Mapcode National: GBR F3.WQ61
Mapcode Global: VH795.TL40
Entry Name: Chapel Cottages No 1
Listing Date: 19 October 1994
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 14929
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the edge of the burial ground to Llanwenarth Baptist Church and immediately north of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. Set back behind low rubble forecourt walls including dividing wall
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Govilon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early to mid C19 terrace of three cottages. Although known as Chapel Cottages they are more likely to be associated with the history of the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal (now known as the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal). This was constructed between 1797 and 1812 and Govilon was an important point on the canal for the local coal and iron industry, as it was the terminus for Bailey's tramroad, opened in 1821, down from Nantyglo Ironworks. It is likely that these are industrial workers cottages dating from this period.
Included as good examples of C19 workers' housing probably associated with the canal and for group value with Llanwenarth Baptist Chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings