This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2856 / 53°17'8"N
Longitude: -3.4574 / 3°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 302934
OS Northings: 377500
OS Grid: SJ029775
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z9F.8Y
Mapcode Global: WH659.VPS2
Entry Name: Cowhouse at Abbey Farm
Listing Date: 16 November 1962
Last Amended: 10 November 1994
Source ID: 14971
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the southern edge of Rhuddlan, close to the east bank of the River Clwyd.
Built-Up Area: Rhuddlan
Traditional County: Flintshire
Abbey Farm occupies the site of, and incorporates some of the remains of, a Dominican Friary founded in or before 1258. The farmyard is on the site of the cloister, and the buildings, incorporate parts of the fabric of the abbey buildings. Together with the farmhouse, they loosely form a courtyard. The main barn and cowhouse are late C18 (built between c1750 and 1785, when Thomas Pennant noted 'a fragment which bears the marks of antiquity; the rest is disguised in the form of a farm-house and barn'), though incorporating at least one wall from the former monastic buildings, which had survived as substantial ruins until at least the mid C18.
The main barn closes the farmyard to the S. Roughly coursed and squared rubble, with heavy queen post trusses internally. 5-bays, probably formerly with opposed central entrances (that to N obscured). N elevation is largely covered by later lean-to additions, but it is probably a medieval wall (possibly part of the former dormitory) and has 4 blocked straight-headed windows with red sandstone surrounds set at a high level and visible above the additions. In the S elevation, the double central doors have yellow brick heads; loft entries to either side and ventilation slits to left. Various worked stones incorporated into the stone work. Queen post and collar roof trusses inside. Lower addition to the W was possibly formerly a cart-shed. Timber lintel supported by central brick pier to infilled entries in S elevation.
The cowhouse forms the eastern range of buildings around the farmyard, built at right-angles to the main barn which lies to its S. It is largely of late C18 date, but incorporates several worked stones from the friary, and almost certainly occupies the site of a monastic building. Its far right section to the S appears to be contemporary with the earlier main barn, and the building was later extended to the N. Roughly coursed and squared stone with the slate roofs. 2 storeys, 5-window range, irregularly fenestrated, but all with voussoir heads. Inserted or renewed central doorway with flanking windows, and blocked door also flanked by windows to left. Right-hand section obscured by lean-to additions. Towards the N gable end, a niche houses a severely eroded effigy, which is probably early C14.
The buildings are of special importance for their incorporation of the remains f the former Dominican Friary, a building type scarce in Wales. They also form part of a late C18-early C19 farm complex, which survives substantially intact.
Other nearby listed buildings