This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1855 / 53°11'7"N
Longitude: -3.0259 / 3°1'33"W
OS Eastings: 331541
OS Northings: 365864
OS Grid: SJ315658
Mapcode National: GBR 74.39H0
Mapcode Global: WH88C.H699
Entry Name: Tithe Barn Cottage
Listing Date: 2 July 1962
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15024
Building Class: Education
Location: On the street line, S of churchyard.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Sandycroft
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Tithe Barn is first mentioned in 1663, and it is probable that this refers to the present building. In 1814 it was converted into a school for 90 boys and girls by Rector Neville at which time it was thatched. It was converted for use as a parish office in 1928.
C17 brick barn of 6 bays with later alterations. Cruciform plan formed by advancing central bays. Medium-steep pitch slate roof with oversailing eaves and a central (later) moulded brick stack. S gable with early C19 Gothick shaped stonekneelers and copings, and similar diagonally-set finial, corbelledout. Large 2-light Gothick window with simple intersecting tracery and cusped heads. 10-pane glazing below springing level, with thing glazing bars. Wide, moulded architrave. Narrow slit-window above, with plain architrave. At the opposite (N) end, a large 8-light plain-glazed mullioned and transomed window. The W elevation has three early C19 stone cross-windows, relating to paired bays. 2 tiers of blocked ventilation slits are apparent.
Later door to the R with rusticated stucco surround. 2 and 4-light mullioned windows to E face, with dentilated brick string course. This forms, in the central, advanced section, a label over the contemporary depressed-arched entrance. This is now partly obscured by an attached early C19 brick gabled porch with moulded eaves cornice and lead ball finial. Recessed, depressed-arched entrance, with continuous label. Stone plaque above inscribed "Tithe Barn". C20 double doors,approached by three steps. Plain flanking brick pilasters. Adjoining to the S a modern single-storey, flat-roofed extension.
Attached House: To the R of the porch, a 2-storey domestic extension of the second quarter C19. Slate roof with modern sky-light. Central recessed doorway with contemporary, vertically-planked door and 4-light rectangular fan. Late C19 slated door canopy on wooden brackets. Near-flush 2-light casement above, of 6 panes. Flanking door, two 16-pane recessed sash windows with flat-arched heads. Stone cills. External first floor entrance to E gable end with stone steps
and iron rails.
Open trusses with rough chamfering and trenched purlins, mostly boxed-in. Brick partition wall between bays 2 and 3 (from S) apparently replaces contemporary division.
Included for its important contribution to Hawarden's social and architectural history
Other nearby listed buildings