History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Masonic Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawarden, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1869 / 53°11'12"N

Longitude: -3.0281 / 3°1'41"W

OS Eastings: 331398

OS Northings: 366029

OS Grid: SJ313660

Mapcode National: GBR 74.38XQ

Mapcode Global: WH88C.G585

Entry Name: Masonic Hall

Listing Date: 16 November 1994

Last Amended: 16 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15027

Building Class: Education

Location: On the slope of the hill, on the W side.

County: Flintshire

Community: Hawarden (Penarl√Ęg)

Community: Hawarden

Built-Up Area: Sandycroft

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hawarden

History

The former school house, built by Rector Glynne 1834, and perhaps designed by Thomas Jones (compare Mold, Old County Hall). It was converted as the Masonic Hall in 1913.

Exterior

A 6-bay rectangular hall in Jacobethan style, of sandstone ashlar on a continuous plinth. Medium pitched slate roof with plain eaves. Coped gables to N and S with crocketted finials, diagonally set, and corbelled out. Large, centrally-placed lateral chimneys, stepped and with single octagonal shafts. That to the E has inserted moulded plaque bearing inscription `Masonic Hall 1913', in raised lettering. Shield with Masonic badge above. Symetrical E facade with two 2-light mullioned and one single-light window to either side of stack. Recessed and chamfered surrounds. Plain mullions and moulded and returned hoods. Stepped 8-light mullioned and transomed windows to N and S gables, with a blocked entrance to N. Enclosed porch to S, timber-framed on a brick plinth to dado height. All windows to the main building have been blocked except two on the W side. Single-storey stone extensions of two periods to rear, the chief of which has a porch with timber-framed gable and stepped access. 4-light mullioned window; slate roof.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.