This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1844 / 53°11'3"N
Longitude: -3.0241 / 3°1'26"W
OS Eastings: 331663
OS Northings: 365749
OS Grid: SJ316657
Mapcode National: GBR 74.3HXJ
Mapcode Global: WH88C.J752
Entry Name: Former Police Station
Listing Date: 16 November 1994
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15064
Building Class: Civil
Location: On the street line.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Sandycroft
Traditional County: Flintshire
2 associated and adjoining ranges built in 1886 in playful Tudor style as a police station (to the R) and town hall (L range).
The Police Station: A 2-storey symmetrical, twin gabled building with narrow recessed central entrance bay. Of brick with painted stone detailing. Tiled roof with plain oversailing eaves and bargeboards. 3 simply moulded stacks. Simple, 3-light plain glazed windows to first floor of each flanking bay, with moulded mullions. Similar 6-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor. Continuous moulded brick dripcourses and 2 similar stringcourses. Plain moulded plinth. Central bay with narrow entrance. Depressed arched head with fluted keystone and moulded surround. Contemporary door with simple scrolled ironwork. First floor single-light window with moulded ogee head. Decorative stone relief plaques to both gables, that to the L bearing the date 1886. External clock on decorative iron scrolled bracket. An inserted stone plaque in the L bay records its erection in 1911.
Alleyway to R with contemporary flat-arched opening and stepped brick-coped wall running N.
Adjoining to the W the contemporary Town Hall.
Town Hall: Single-storey with large Dutch gable to the W. Of 2 bays, the R one advanced and both with catslide roofs. Central dormer with timber-framed gable and plain eaves, containing a 3-light leaded window. Each bay with a 3-light mullioned window to the L of a door, that of the L bay now blocked and rebuilt as a window. Contemporary door to R with ironwork and mouldings as before.
Moulded plinth, mullions and window reveals. Renaissance grotesque decoration in the W gable pediment. Lead coping to gable. 10-light mullioned and transomed leaded window beneath.
Modern brick extensions to rear.
Included for group value with other items in Glynne Way.
Other nearby listed buildings