This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1839 / 53°11'1"N
Longitude: -3.0222 / 3°1'20"W
OS Eastings: 331784
OS Northings: 365683
OS Grid: SJ317656
Mapcode National: GBR 74.3JC5
Mapcode Global: WH88C.K71J
Entry Name: Attached Boundary Wall to the East
Listing Date: 2 July 1962
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15068
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjacent to, and flush with No. 29a, set behind a low chequered brick wall.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Sandycroft
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mid-C18 house said traditionally to have been built by the architect Joseph Turner, and certainly his residence before he moved to Chester in the mid 1770s. From 1894-1909 a private girl's school.
Main block of 2 storeys with attic dormers, originally of 5 bays, with an advanced 2-storey, 2-bay range to the E. Shallow-pitched slate roof with kneelered gable ends and plain rendered end chimneys. Plain eaves. Stuccoed facade with slightly off-centre entrance. Moulded stucco entablature on engaged Doric columns with plain recessed doorcase. 6-panelled door with decorative fanlight above. 4 contemporary crescent-shaped steps. 12-pane, almost flush sash windows to ground and first floors of L and central bays, the first floor ones with rusticated, flat-arched stone voussoirs and projecting key. A similar window-head survives to the R, though the window is now blocked. R-hand bays of ground and first floors taken up with large canted bay, a later addition. Paired and single 16-pane recessed sash windows. Attic floor with 3 C20 symmetrically-spaced stuccoed and gabled dormers with 9-pane recessed sash windows.
Adjacent early C19 E range with 2 pairs of slightly recessed 12-pane sash windows. Tall centrally-placed chimney, rendered and flush with facade. Slate roof with plain eaves.
Assymetrical rear elevation with windows of 9-15 panes, mostly slightly recessed. Large, full-height bow window to L, independently roofed and with dentilated eaves. Early C19. Gabled dormer as before.
Included in this entry a section of boundary wall, adjoining the house to the E, up to but not including modern entrance piers. Of sandstone rubble with C18 brick upper courses with some C19 and C20 patching. Also a section of contemporary brick garden wall to the E of the entrance piers, running N-S.
An C18 house of some quality in an important position within the street and with strong connections to a significant local architect.
Boxed and plastered beams in entrance hall, perhaps suggesting an earlier core. Mid C19 Gothic stone fireplace with decorative rosettes and foliate-work in spandrels. 4 and 6-panelled, fielded doors. Brick-floored cellar.
Other nearby listed buildings