History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gladstone Memorial Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandycroft, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1846 / 53°11'4"N

Longitude: -3.0254 / 3°1'31"W

OS Eastings: 331574

OS Northings: 365769

OS Grid: SJ315657

Mapcode National: GBR 74.39MP

Mapcode Global: WH88C.H6KY

Entry Name: Gladstone Memorial Fountain

Listing Date: 16 November 1994

Last Amended: 16 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15079

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: At the cross-roads, and situated in the centre of the road.

County: Flintshire

Community: Hawarden (Penarl√Ęg)

Community: Hawarden

Built-Up Area: Sandycroft

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hawarden

History

Erected by the people of Hawarden to commemorate the golden wedding of W.E. Gladstone and his wife in 1889. It was unveiled on 29 December 1890, the former's 81st birthday. Designed and sculpted by Edward Griffith of Chester after a public competition.

Exterior

3-sided stone fountain in municipal Renaissance style with a dedication plaque in the S face. Relief portraits of Gladstone and his wife in roundels, in W and E faces respectively. Swagged surrounds. Classical flaming urn finial. The upper half of each face has the inscription Drink ye... the water... of life respectively, under arched cornices. Base with moulded plinth and scrolled corners. Above these are, N, a sculpted, armed putto sitting astride a dolphin, and at the other corners griffins bearing the arms of the Glynnes and the Gladstones. Acanthas decoration to lower sections with central lozenges containing lion's heads.

The fountain is now disused.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an important Gladstonian feature, and for its contribution to the village-scape.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.