This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0468 / 52°2'48"N
Longitude: -4.5898 / 4°35'23"W
OS Eastings: 222498
OS Northings: 241872
OS Grid: SN224418
Mapcode National: GBR D2.FB5L
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.DTDB
Entry Name: Church of Saint David
Listing Date: 24 November 1994
Last Amended: 24 November 1994
Source ID: 15118
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on N side of lane from Cilgerran to Abercych some 500m E of Cilfowyr crossroads.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1897-8 Anglican parish church by Prothero and Phillot of Cheltenham, built to replace the old church by the river, then threatened by flooding. Exceptional 1878 font and pulpit brought from the private chapel at Pentre c.1979 by the Rev P Evans.
1897-8 parish church by Prothero and Phillot, coursed Cilgerran stone with limestone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave, chancel, S porch, W bell-spire and N vestry. Ashlar coped gables, cross finials, and thin octagonal bell-spire. Ornate traceried windows with hoodmoulds, carved stops and Cilgerran stone voussoirs. Buttresses and clasping buttresses, then three 3-light windows with varied circles in heads. Chancel S has 2-light windows with circles. Large E window with five lights and three traceried circles. One lancet N and lean-to vestry with two 2-light N windows and stack. Nave N has two windows similar to those on S and W end has large 3-light window with circle.
Open rafter roofs with collars and king struts, more ornate in chancel, plastered walls and moulded chancel arch. Chancel N has organ arch and vestry door. Pitch pine pews. Ornate fittings especially the exceptional font and pulpit moved from the demolished chapel at Pentre (1879 by J P St Aubyn), in alabaster and marble, and the 1923 painted wood reredos by Martin Tracers. Reredos is gilded and painted with high relief of Angel at the Tomb and classical piers each side with coats of arms. Communion rails in wrought iron with copper and brass. East window 1900 and two chancel S windows 1898 all signed by A L Moore of London. N side organ, C19 Gothic, from Pentre. S wall monument to L R Colby (killed 1914), by Maile of London. Low stone chancel screen wall. Pulpit is on granite base three-sided, alabaster with green marble shafts, 2-light panels, shafted and cusped with rich mosaic figures of saints. Marble bullseye ornament in spandrels and ornate leaf cornices. Centre sweeping brackets to traceried bookrest, mosaic flowers in tracery panels. Nave S has 3-light stained glass window plus 1914, and another, possibly later C19 re-used. W window has 1898 3-light stained glass in C15 style. Font is alabaster on dark marble octagonal pier and alabaster plinth. Trefoil-headed panels each side with green marble shafts, mosaic pictures and marble bullseyes in spandrels. Carved lily cornice and ornate ironwork to cover.
Included principally because of the unusually fine fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings