History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Attached Gatepier and Railings to No 1, Cilwendeg Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Manordeifi, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0248 / 52°1'29"N

Longitude: -4.5865 / 4°35'11"W

OS Eastings: 222642

OS Northings: 239428

OS Grid: SN226394

Mapcode National: GBR D2.GR02

Mapcode Global: VH2N3.GC5L

Entry Name: Attached Gatepier and Railings to No 1, Cilwendeg Lodge

Listing Date: 24 November 1994

Last Amended: 24 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15137

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 250m of Newchapel Village, on S side of B 4332.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Manordeifi

Community: Manordeifi

Locality: Newchapel/Capel Newydd

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Newchapel

History

Eastern lodge of a pair of earlier C19 gate lodges to Cilwendeg, at head of the east drive, originally single-storey and raised in early C20. Cilwendeg was built by Morgan Jones I (d 1826) and the lodges by this nephew Morgan Jones II (d 1840), they are marked on 1843 Tithe Map.

Exterior

No 1 Lodge: c.1835-40 gate lodge raised a storey c.1910, whitewashed stucco with slate half-hipped roof and yellow brick end stacks. Two storeys, double-fronted with ground floor original arched sash windows and Gothick glazing bars, recessed in arches carried down to the ground. Plinth shelf around, set back in window recesses. Centre taller arched door with radiating bar fanlight. Fine front portico of two pairs of timber Roman Doric columns and entablature, the pedimental gable above with early C20 bargeboards. Similar window to ground floor N end. Added upper floor has two arched windows with horned sashes, the upper halves square but disguised by window-frame. Small rear gable.

Gatepier and Railings: Attached is E half of semi-circular sweep of railings running from rear NE corner, spearhead, with panelled Bath stone end pier and ball finial. From front NW corner a short length of taller spearhead rails to an eroded openwork iron scrolled pier with cast-iron Greek acroteria and small urn. Pedestrian gate to match that at No 2 has gone, as have main gates.

Reasons for Listing

1843 Manordeifi Tithe Map in National Library of Wales

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.