This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9211 / 51°55'15"N
Longitude: -3.9388 / 3°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 266763
OS Northings: 226503
OS Grid: SN667265
Mapcode National: GBR DY.P3NK
Mapcode Global: VH4HR.PZ26
Entry Name: Tower House
Listing Date: 13 February 1995
Last Amended: 13 February 1995
Source ID: 15178
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to NE of Glanbrydan, some 0.5 km W of Manordeilo, approached by lane running N from Glanbrydan Farm.
Community: Manordeilo and Salem (Manordeilo a Salem)
Community: Manordeilo and Salem
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former coach-house to Glanbrydan, probably built for J.C. Richardson of Swansea 1885 to designs by S.W. Williams of Rhayader.
Unpainted render with slate roofs. The Tower House has two-storey, three-window N front, hipped roof and very ornate lead clock tower on ridge. Tower has herring-bone pattern sloping base, cornice, clock-stage with S side clock and blank roundels on other three faces, angle piers, cornice and top octagonal cupola the base broached from square, turned balusters and ogee octagonal dome with iron vane. N front has 4-pane sash each side and smaller pair to centre first floor, and ground floor unaligned pair, long 6-pane casement, door with overlight, 8-pane sash and 8-pane sash. C20 lean-to on E end. S side has rendered stack at eaves, and single storey coach-house running S with roof hipped at S end and two large plain carriage-entries with timber lintels on E side. 8-pane sash to main range ground floor right, two 4-pane sashes to first floor right, C20 window first floor left.
Clock mechanism in tower said to be dated 1858.
Other nearby listed buildings