History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial, steps and walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Manordeilo and Salem, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9352 / 51°56'6"N

Longitude: -3.9601 / 3°57'36"W

OS Eastings: 265340

OS Northings: 228111

OS Grid: SN653281

Mapcode National: GBR DX.NBCB

Mapcode Global: VH4HR.9MSC

Entry Name: War Memorial, steps and walls

Listing Date: 13 February 1995

Last Amended: 13 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15190

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Situated on W side of B 4302 some 100m S of Taliaris church.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Manordeilo and Salem (Manordeilo a Salem)

Community: Manordeilo and Salem

Locality: Taliaris

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Hoel-galed

History

1923 war memorial of unusual type and scale, commissioned by the Peel family of Taliaris, partly in commemoration of Capt A. Peel, killed 1914, and Lt R. Peel, killed 1917.

Exterior

Large tapering rubble stone cairn, square in plan, raised above roadside on embanked platform reached by two narrow curving flights of rough steps from entry recessed between two rubble stone terrace walls. Cairn has base step with 1939-45 names on red granite plaque, and plinth with affixed ashlar plaque with laurel wreath and crossed swords. On main face is affixed red granite plain cross inscribed "The Great War 1914-18" across, "In memory of the fallen heroes of Taliaris parish" on base and seven names on panel below.

Reasons for Listing

Included as war memorial of unusual type with landscape value in views from across the valley.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of the Holy Trinity
    Situated on W side of B 4302 some 450m N of Maerdy crossroads.
  • II Maerdy Farmhouse
    Situated on E side of B 4302 at Maerdy crossroads, with access off lane running SE.
  • II Garlands
    Situated on W side of B 4302 some 600m N of Taliaris church.
  • II Ty Isaf
    Prominently sited, near junction of minor roads, about 1km to E of B4302.
  • I Plas Taliaris
    Situated some 2km NE of Salem.
  • II Cockpit to W of Plas Taliaris
    Situated in courtyard just W of mansion.
  • II Tower House
    Situated to NE of Glanbrydan, some 0.5 km W of Manordeilo, approached by lane running N from Glanbry

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.