This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9522 / 51°57'7"N
Longitude: -5.031 / 5°1'51"W
OS Eastings: 191809
OS Northings: 232532
OS Grid: SM918325
Mapcode National: GBR CH.M2S1
Mapcode Global: VH1QS.R648
Entry Name: Jordanston Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1994
Last Amended: 10 February 1995
Source ID: 15195
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just W of Jordanston church, below the churchyard.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mid to later C18 house of the Vaughan family, probably incorporating a later C17 core. The estate is recorded in 1326 and 1411, the Gwynn family occupied the house in 1561, and then by marriage it passed to John Vaughan of Linwent Radns. resident c1655-60. It is likely that the house was rebuilt c1660-70, possibly for Jenkin Vaughan (d1675), it was assessed as having five hearths in 1670. Gwynnne Vaughan inherited 1678, (died 1702); Lewis Vaughan was High Sheriff 1717, (died 1755). His grandson Gwynne Vaughan 2 was resident from 1755, owner from 1770, promoter and then Governor of Fishguard Fort from 1780, prominent in the 1797 French invasion, rebuilt the church in 1797 and probably remodelled the house. He died in 1808. Gwynne Gill Vaughan (d1837) was High Sheriff 1813, left the estate to Sir James Cockburn Bt (d1852), whose daughter married Sir J.J. Hamilton Bt of Tyrone, who rebuilt the church 1863 and died 1876. It had 320 acres on the 1843 Tithe Map.
Mid to later C18 house, probably incorporating late C17 core, whitewashed roughcast with slate roofs, and roughcast stacks, large to S end, small on ridge. Two storeys, eight-window range with hipped wing projecting at N end, left two-window range was service wing with door and window set lower. Modillion timber eaves cornice. Windows were 9-pane sashes above and 12-pane below except service range ground floor left small tripartite window. Four left first floor windows survive unaltered and two ground floor windows in third and fourth bays, rest are c1993 hard-wood plate glass windows. Service door in second bay, main door in fifth, c1993 6-panel hardwood door in c1993 hardwood doorcase. Lean-to on S end. N crosswing has S 2-window range, hardwood windows above, decayed plate glass sash and horned 12-pane sash below, windowless E end. N side has hipped roof, brick panelled side-wall stack and three-window range of plate glass sashes, brick heads, one-window W end addition. Rear has added projection to left, added three-window two-storey centre, built out some 1.5m with flat roof from original rear wall which had lateral stack, but late C20 roof now extends to eaves. To right is hipped stair tower with three superimposed plate glass small sashes. Added lean-to to rear of service range to right.
S end separated into separate house c1960, and stair in stair tower removed, some shutters in room to left of main entry. Ground floor otherwise altered. Lateral fireplace in rear wall of right room. Thick c 1.25m walls apparently continuous, though original rear wall is now internal.
Included notwithstanding recent alterations as important N. Pembrokeshire gentry house of the C18, possibly on C17 core. Group value with parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings