This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1422 / 53°8'32"N
Longitude: -3.1672 / 3°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 322025
OS Northings: 361202
OS Grid: SJ220612
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.654P
Mapcode Global: WH77C.B82X
Entry Name: Former Farmhouse at Fron Farm (excluding the modern house attached to N)
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15241
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to NW of Nercwys village, off a narrow lane off the Maeshafn- Mold road, set back within its own farmyard and adjacent to, and at an angle with the present farmhouse.
Traditional County: Flintshire
An L-shaped sub-medieval farmhouse of 2 main phases with early C19 alterations and additions, currently un-used.
Main farmhouse range (orientated E-W): This is the earliest section, dating from the late C16/early C17, and was originally asingle-storey rubble-built 3-unit hall house, partly built on exposed rock. Massive off-centre stack, now reduced. The whole was raised in the early C19. Medium-pitched slate roof with added rubble projecting end-chimney to the W gable end, with brick-built upper section. Plain entrance to the L with boarded door. Early C20 3-light fixed windowto central (hall) section with timber lintel and brick cill. A similar 2-light window above. Entrance to the R via an early C20 brick porch. Plain boarded doors. Similar 3-pane window to the rear. Stopped-chamfered ceiling beams to interior of R section (former parlour) and, in the hall, a wide inglenook, stopped and chamfered, though later disturbed and given a cambered head.
Added to this range to the E (parlour end) and forming the W arm of an L with it the surviving ground floor section of a mid-late C17 parlour wing, originally storeyed and gabled. This was reduced
within the last 20 years, and apparently had a triple-light arched- headed mullioned window to the upper S gable (information from the owner). Early C19 2-window facade with near-flush central entrance. Cambered head and late C19 door, now part-glazed. Near-flush flanking windows with cambered heads of cross-window type. In the interior of the right-hand room, a chamfered beam
with moulded tongue-like stops.
Adjacent to the main block and to the W, linked by a C19 Ty Bach, an early C19 2-storey gabled cow byre with loft above. Rubble and slate construction with rubble parapetted gables. External stone- stepped access to the upper W gable. 3 symmetrically-placed entrances with flat stone lintels and plain stable doors. 2 tiers of ventilation slits, mostly blocked, with an upper, unglazed window opening above. Rear outshut to R.
Listed as a good early example of a sub-medieval house, still identifiable despite subsequent remodelling and reduction.
Other nearby listed buildings