This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1504 / 53°9'1"N
Longitude: -3.1642 / 3°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 322240
OS Northings: 362104
OS Grid: SJ222621
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.5KX8
Mapcode Global: WH77C.C2HP
Entry Name: U-Shaped Agricultural Range to the west of Fron Hall
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15257
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located to the W of Fron Hall, on raised ground and behind an overgrown cobbled courtyard.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A large U-shaped symmetrical agricultural range dated 1762, consisting of a central barn with flanking stables. Rubble with freestone dressings under a medium-pitched slate roof with moulded eaves cornice. Shaped, moulded kneelers and coped gables to the flanking ranges. Large centrally-placed barn entrance to the central section with segmental arched head, rusticated voussoirs and central keystone. This is inscribed R W 1762. Boarded doors to the upper half. Flanking ventilation slits in sham medieval military style. These consist of groupings of a central lozenge flanked by large cross-loops with trefoil heads, round bases and crescent-shaped sides. Above, a horizontal dumb-bell-type sham gun-loop. The gabled wings have pointed-arched window openings to the ground floors with voussoirs as before (that to the R now lowered). Segmental-arched windows above. The inner face of the L (SW) wing has an entrance to the L, cambered, with voussoirs as described, and a further door and window to the R with an open oculus above. Recessed and boarded doors. The R (NE) wing has a door, window, door, door arrangement, the central window and door being modern. Brick stack to L. In the L wing survive contemporary wooden loose boxes.
A finely detailed and well composed mid-C18 agricultural range of evident sophistication and quality and in a largely unaltered condition.
Other nearby listed buildings