This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7729 / 51°46'22"N
Longitude: -3.0862 / 3°5'10"W
OS Eastings: 325153
OS Northings: 208801
OS Grid: SO251088
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZK3Y
Mapcode Global: VH79C.GPBS
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 15271
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Set back from the pavement on the corner between Church Road and High Street, within the precinct of the Workmen's Hall and Institute.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built in 1931 to commemorate Blaenavon men killed in the First World War. Replaced earlier field gun. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Treowen. Later plaques were added in memory of those killed in the Second World War, the Korean War and Northern Ireland. Designed by R.L. Edmiunds of Blaenavon.
Art Deco style column built in Portland stone on a square plan. Set on a wide stone dais with low iron railings surrounding base. The four elevations are similar, with stone panels to each. Three are inset with bronze plaques, that to south has additional small plaque below. Above each panel are three vertical slots inset with metal grills. Above this the column steps in and is surmounted by clock tower with a clock-face inset to each side.
Included for its group value with the Workmen's Hall and Institute, and as a distinctive War Memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings