This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7722 / 51°46'20"N
Longitude: -3.0858 / 3°5'9"W
OS Eastings: 325173
OS Northings: 208731
OS Grid: SO251087
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZK6C
Mapcode Global: VH79C.GQH8
Entry Name: Post Office
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15279
Building Class: Communications
Location: Prominently situated at the south end of the town on the west side of Prince Street, opposite the junction with Ivor Street.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The building dates from 1937 and is similar in design to, although larger than, the Post Office at Blackwood.
Deep roofed Queen Anne Revival building, on a rectangular plan, with extensions to rear. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-window main facade, with roughcast render, dressed stone quoins and a marble plinth. All the windows are square-headed sashes with horned small-pane glazing. Hipped roof is of a conspicuous Cumbrian green slate.
At ground floor, the central pedimented doorway has a 'Gibbs Surround', the keystone of which is inscribed 'GR 1937'. The six panel wooden door has a rectangular fanlight with decorative glazing bars. Above the pediment the words 'POST OFFICE' are in relief white lettering. Far right ground floor window drops to ground level at its centre and has a clockface set into its upper sash. Deep wooden eaves cornice with dentils.
Many of the internal fittings remain on the ground floor, including polychrome tiled flooring, mahogany panelling and counters. The service counter which originally ran the length of the ground floor,has been reused across the width. Service hatches and doorways to sorting offices remain as does the GPO mahogany clock.
Listed as a good example of an inter-war Post Office.
Other nearby listed buildings